Member profile for George Nielsen
Ford Sierra XR4i 2.8
Photo Gallery for George Nielsen's XR4i
Since it was new in 1984 I have owned this car. I have had it registered in turn in the Netherlands, in West Germany (Heidelberg HD), in France (Val d'Oise (95)) and in Denmark, as I have lived in these places and took my XR4i
with me. In the process repeaters have sprouted on the front fenders so that
my XR4i could fulfil Danish requirements.
One of the first modifications I undertook in my car was to install
after-market Veglia Borletti instruments. Above the left instrument panel I put a clock, above the right instrument panel I put an oil pressure gauge, an oil temperature gauge and a water temperature gauge. I removed the original clock and put a voltmeter and an amp meter. As the clock which I mounted was above the speedometer and the fuel gauge the navigational instruments were concentrated in the left, while the oil and water pressure and temperature gauges were placed above the tachometer, thus concentrating the engine instruments there. The electrical instruments were placed to the right. Since then, the clock and the ampere meter failed they have been replaced by VDO units, as Veglia Borletti no longer makes or provides support for after-market instruments.
On June 10th 2006, I had my car assessed on the rolling road at Erik Botman Autosportief on their Advanced Dyno Station. To my surprise, it achieved
152.9 hp at 4971 rpm and 253 Nm torque at 1673 rpm.
In 2007 the cylinder heads have been replaced with ones whose intake valve seats are reinforced and the engine has been gasflowed, thus optimising volumetric efficiency. This work was done by Specialised Engines of Grays, Essex
The exhaust system of my car has been replaced many times. The first one I had fitted was one from Sebring. With the original exhaust my car vibrated when accelerating above 100 mph. The Sebring unit fixed this problem. This was replaced with an Ansa exhaust, courtesy of the TV, as the Sebring had not been homologated in the EC. After a period with an original Ford exhaust I had a JanSpeed unit mounted in my car. At the time of writing, the headers from JanSpeed are still there but the rest has been replaced by a stainless steel exhaust system by Powerflow Exhausts.
The original telephone dial mag wheels have been replaced by RS mags, And the steering wheel have been replaced by an RS wheel. At first I had a three spoke wheel, but now a four spoke wheel is mounted.
Transmission and differential:
As a limited slip differential was not offered as an option I had one
retrofitted when my car was rather new. My car's gearbox has had to be rebuilt twice, first time due to an oil leak and second time due to the fact that the lower shaft broke. I still have the original Ford Type 9 gearbox.
In the year 2002 valve seat recession was noticed. To remedy this I had a Broquet catalyst inserted in my car's fuel tank. Since then the engine has run well on fuel with a rating of 95 RON 85 MON without any knocking and
apparently without or at least reduced valve seat recession.
Once I mounted the number plate on a bracket which was fastened to the
bumper, and in its place I put a red reflecting bar with the letters XR4i. Due to damage to the rear bracket the number plate returned to its original position after an absence of eight years.
In 2007 the springs and shock absorbers of my car were replaced with springs and adjustable shock absorbers by AVO. This resulted in its lowering by two inches. The work was done at Bhav's garage in Redditch.
Last updated: 10.01.08