Welcome to the XR4Register website
The XR4Register at the Restoration Show 26th March 2006
This show always kicks off our show season and as regular as clockwork, its
when the clocks go FORWARD for BST.
Set-up day was Sat as usual and we all decided to have the stand ready. Al &Paul were bringing the flooring, Bhav the display boards and flag poles and John Bell bringing all the gear to do the job on his car also with the kids too!
We all met up around 5.30pm and there was a 'distinct' lack of light ! . Apparently there was a power cut and the organisers advised us that if it doesn't resume then there will be no show on grounds of Health & Safety. We decided to off load and hoped power would resume. Its an experience setting up a stand in 'torch light' ! A few hours later and power was resumed and the show would go on. This is when we noticed that we had a very good sized stand, enough to get at least a couple of cars and still work on the project. We would decide on Sunday morning who would be on the stand. The stand was sorted and ready and it was getting late. Time to go.
Even though Bhav spoke to a few people the day before and explained that the
clocks go forward, its amazing how many people forget. Well, it was their
loss as they could not get there on time and we had to fill the floor space so the Sierra GT and the XR8 were placed on the stand.
This time round we decided to do something different to our normal 'mechanical' work. Yes, it was time to get the welding helmets and angle grinders out
! We decided to sort out John Bells XR4x4 2.0T, the sills needed a little
patch, the rear arch needed replacing and the ABS light was on. All systems go and we hoped that all 3 things would be done on the day.
As work progressed on the sill, it was clear that the small 'hole' was just
a sign of trouble. Having removed most of the paint and old 'flakey' rust,
there was a lot of weak spots on the sill. Bhav decided that the only option was to 'cut out' all the rot and replace the outer sill complete. We knew that this would take most of the time so went against tackling the outer wheel arch on the drivers side. Whilst the grinder was having a break, John traced the ABS fault to one of the sensors and replaced it. One job out of the way.
Once again there was a lot of interest on our stand and thanks to all those
that came to give moral support as John certainly needed it as he had no outer sill now!
Bhav had got the panels and once these were 'dressed' to suit the car, it
was time to weld it on. The car was looking like it should with the new sill welded in. Solid ! Just some primer and paint to finish it off. The end result was looking good!
Although we didn't win anything at this show, we can certainly say that we
'worked' on the day and not pretended like some clubs we could mention. Well, done to the Rover P6 Club for a deserved 1st Place Win.
Time to think for the Winter Rest Show project... thats when the clock go
Show Report: Bhav
Set Up Pics
General Show Pics